Freelance 3D Character TD (Lead position)
Chakrra is looking for a Technical Director (TD) to lead the production of short film. The TD will work with the Character, modeling, rigging and animation artists to develop unique characters that suit the script. As part of this role, TD is expected to review the work product developed at each stage of the pipeline and address challenges and provide feedback to the artists. Where required, TD should be ready to roll up the sleeves to develop custom tools and scripts to help the artists throughout the character development.
Please apply by sending an email to [email protected]
Technical Director will apply a strategic vision for content and tools, foster and grow the internal teams and provide leadership and guidance.
Job Responsibilities including but not limited to:
• Supervise and direct skilled team of Character artists including modelers, riggers, animators, art directors.
• Work with Art director to understand the characters, and their emotions and body motions per the script
• Guide the modeler(s) in developing character models per the concept art.
• Assist/Review in creating custom blendshapes and face rigs as needed to support the character facial expression and movements.
• Review the model for clean topology and provide any feedback to the modeler including
• Review the rigs created by the artists to ensure flexible and expressive character rigs to cover poses and motions and to aid in stretchy and squash animations.
• Work with rigger to ensure controls to move and change the shape or volume with minimal skeleton disruption.
• Work with rigger(s) to develop a detailed control systems, rig hierarchy, and naming convention to assist in the character movements during animation.
• Provide feedback to rigger(s) on skinning and weight painting to influence the joints and deformations.
• Work with Animator to review and finalize any special effects such as dust, smoke etc that should be included in the final animation/lighting per the required script
• Guide and drive the team’s approaches to content creation and tools
• Oversee projects, collaborate with the directors and liaise with partners, help define and improve content creation processes within the projects.
• Maintain a consistently high standard of support across all disciplines of the project, and work with other Technical Artists to improve our development practices.
• Have a pragmatic and practical approach to working with technology, with experience of pushing the technical limits and ensure the Art team can work efficiently and comfortably.
• Continually improve our techniques/tools, staying consistent with industry trends/best practices
• Research, develop, and implement new techniques and tools that increase quality and efficiency
• Establish and maintain budgets, performance targets, and optimization best practices
• Attend team meetings with status update/reports at intervals decided by the team.
• Building and improving the facial rigging pipeline through scripting and tool creation.
• Develop, build and maintain an efficient, scalable, and best-in-class character pipeline
• Knowledge of facial anatomy
• Expert-level skills/understanding of character rigs, skinning, etc.
• Researching and implementing new methods and processes for face rig creation.
• Experience with blendshapes and/or pose space deformers
• Experience with FACS.
• Expert knowledge of Maya, Python and MEL scripting
• Skills in programming/scripting languages such as C++ or C#
• Experience with scanning and re-meshing pipelines.
Essential Skills & Experience:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Enthusiasm for creating believable/realistic/convincing characters/movements
• Strong proactive problem-solving attitude
• Demonstrable knowledge of modern animation content creation workflows
• Solid understanding of real-time physically-based materials & rendering (PBR)
• Passion for animation development, self motivated and leadership skills to motivate and lead a team through the project.
• Directorial position in at least 2 projects working as a lead in an animation project guiding through and trouble-shooting technical issues.
• Strong digital art skills (modeling, texturing, lighting)
• Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team
• Experience working in smaller teams in an efficient manner with focus on timelines and quality of work. May require hands-on work to chip in to meet deadlines of the project.
• Ability to anticipate, prioritize, and organize work to meet objectives
Location: Flexible. Chakrra offices are located in Princeton, NJ.
578 total views, 9 today